Warmer weather is afoot, and that means spring cleaning! Whether you’re craving that lemony-fresh, just-cleaned scent, you’re spring cleaning, or you’re looking to disinfect in the era of social distancing, we’ve got you covered with our handy (and COVID-19-crisis-approved) apartment cleaning checklist.
Here’s a room-by-room list so your apartment is sparkling clean from floor to ceiling:
Apartment cleaning tips
- Disinfect any frequently touched surfaces in your apartment. Spray or wipe down door knobs, light switches, remote controls — anything that gathers germs. Read below for our CDC-approved list of cleaners and disinfectants.
- Clean any surfaces that gather dust, including blinds, light fixtures and ceiling fans.
- Sweep, vacuum and mop all floors in your apartment.
- Remove clutter. Get rid of old magazines, junk mail and DVDs. Stack what you want to keep, and discard anything you don’t regularly use.
- Do an all-over vacuum. Get in the crevices of your sofa and chairs, vacuum cobwebs in the room’s corners, and check for dust bunnies under the sofa or coffee table.
- Put it in the wash. Are your pillow covers removable? Any throw blankets? What about curtains? Launder anything that can go in the washing machine on the warmest appropriate setting (read care instructions on each item).
- Clean all electronics using alcohol-based wipes.
- Clean the oven, microwave and dishwasher.
- Scrub the stovetop.
- Clean the sink and faucet.
- Move the fridge and clean behind it.
- Wipe down the inside of the fridge.
- Reorganize the fridge, freezer and pantry, throwing out expired foods.
- Wipe down the fronts and insides of cabinets and utensil drawers.
- Defrost ice maker and clean it out.
- Scrub any grout to remove mildew.
- Check the caulk around the tub. If it needs to be redone, call your landlord or recaulk as needed.
- Remove shower head buildup with vinegar or a calcium deposit remover.
- Clean toilet bowl with bleach.
- Clean mirrors.
- Wash all bath mats and towels.
- Declutter. Pick up piles of clothes, discard old papers and books you don’t need, and clear surfaces.
- Remove all linens and wash them — dust ruffles, pillowcases, curtains — anything that needs laundering.
- Remove any buildup in your washer by running a cycle of bleach or white vinegar.
- Wipe down dryer walls, and remove any buildup in the lint trap.
- Consider running a small vacuum attachment inside your dryer hose and vent to further remove lint.
- Vacuum the backs of your appliances
- Clean your iron using an iron cleaner or a baking soda and water paste.
COVID-19 cleaning tips
- Always clean hard surfaces using soap and water first. Then go back with a diluted bleach mixture of 4 teaspoons bleach to one quart of water.
- Where applicable, launder items on the warmest setting possible.
- Use wipes or sprays that have at least 70% alcohol to disinfect household electronics.
- Wear gloves when handling cleaning supplies.
- Wash hands often during and after cleaning.
- Find a full list of EPA-approved disinfectants for use against COVID-19 here.
A clean apartment is always in season. Once you’ve completed your apartment cleaning checklist, you’ll enjoy a more organized, healthy living space!